Aug 30, 2008

A Questionable Show...

We as parents often turn on preschool shows for our children to entertain them. We don't always think of the content because it is specifically for preschoolers and there is nothing questionable about the content. When we sit down and watch some of these shows with our children we realize how incredibly weird and creepy some of these shows are. I used to think The Wiggles was a creepy show, but it grew on me, mostly because of the appreciation my children had for it. Dora and Diego are incredibly annoying, but again, the kids are cute when they watch it, so I give in. Then we get a little fun with a dash of "unique" with the Backyardigans. Still not so bad. Many people may hate Yo Gabba Gabba or think it is a little too off the wall for them, but that grew on me as well. Dance DJ Lance, Dance!!
Anyway, we all know about how weird and annoying Barney was when we were younger, watching our younger siblings sit through that torturing song. Then we are babysitting and we learn of the frighteningly disturbing show the Teletubbies. You saw that and thought, "Dang, it is always time for tubbie bye bye." This show goes along the same creep factor lines as the Doodlebops on Playhouse Disney for me. I get the willies from that one. We may not like these shows, but they are clean shows and have nothing that you need to worry about your child seeing. There is one show that, although the content is clean, is a bad influence on children. This show tricks you with its cute storylines and soothing music. How could it possibly be bad? This show is...Little Bear. Yes, that is the show, people. I never understood why that bear was always naked, yet his parents and grandparents were always fully clothed from head to toe. Why was it okay for Little Bear to be naked in the family picture? Why did all of the other bears have to put on coats and hats in the winter to go outside, but Little Bear is only in a scarf? Why are almost all of Little Bear's friends in the nude? I have the answer to these questions, my friends! This show is trying to ruin this generation! They are trying to teach them that nude is okay! There are situations in which it would be okay for Little Bear to be nude, such as: taking a bath, changing his underwear(which he obviously isn't wearing!), showering, etc... The situtaions in this show in which Little Bear is naked do not include what I have previously listed. I would understand if he wanted to go around shirtless in the summer when he's playing in the water, or sleeping in his underwear (which is doesn't ever wear!)at night, but he doesn't.

Why does this upset me? Well, my good people, it upsets me because it influences my children and yours to go around naked! Perhaps you think, "Well, my children aren't going around naked." Well, perhaps your children don't watch this show. Maybe there are some of you who think, "My child watches this and they are still not going around naked." I say to you, give it time, it will happen! If you really want to save your children you will not give it time and stop this insanity. My son, Liam, often enjoys being in the nude, just as this Little Bear. He wants to play naked, go outside naked, give naked hugs, shake his tushy. My little girl cries when I put on her diaper and her favorite word is "naked." Why? Because of Little Bear! Stop the insanity, people! Let us write to these people in Canada(where naked and nude are apparently all the fashion!) who make this show and tell them we will not watch Little Bear until he wears at least a pair of pants!!

7 comments:

Itty_Bitty_Wittes said...

Here, Here! I agree I have blocked that show in this house for that specific reason! I must also admit to my fascination and love for Yo Gabba Gabba their songs are so catchy! We do not watch Doodlebops either. What is with Canadian entertainment? Daniel Cook, Bear in the Big Blue House, etc. Why are they allowed on American Televisions? This truly is an outrage. 11 kudos to you Mrs. Smith, 11 kudos to you!

The Halls said...

Being a newbie to cable, what channel do I find most of these cartoons on?

Heather said...

Thank you Danielle...it's about time someone took on these ridiculous brain-washing cartoon freaks. I am truly horrified about the possibility that my children will ever think about being naked outside of the tub. Can we organize some kind of protest? I think it would be more effective if we were all naked too.

Gary Smith said...

Uuuuuuuuummmmm....k.

Jon-Michael said...

I for one see no problem with nudity in public as a small child -- Andrea Donegan, circa 1987.

Anonymous said...

Hahahah!! LMBO!!

Grammy of Nine said...

As I have no small children in the house I wasn't aware of this shocking state of affairs. As a concerned grandmother of nine, I shall do all within my power to see this scourge stamped out!!!

Grammy DeShazer ;-)