Oct 23, 2008

The Danger of Large Headed TV Show Characters...

My children have always had large heads. Physically, they are well-endowed in the noggin department. I am okay with that. Makes them a little top heavy when they learn to walk, but their injuries aren't too bad. I don't think they are extra smart from the large size of their heads, but I do worry that certain shows are making them stupid. There are some shows that have very large headed children. Maybe my children wouldn't feel like they were "different." I didn't have a problem with it until I watched my children watching the shows. Dora, for example, was telling kids to "catch the stars! Reach up and catch the stars!" What does Gwendolyn do? She starts smacking herself in the head! I am thinking, "Why is she hitting herself instead of trying to catch the stars?" I look at the TV and Dora looks like she is smacking herself in the head because her head is so large. This is obviously physically and mentally damaging! Then one night Mark is telling Gwendolyn to "reach up" while he wipes off her tray before he wipes her hands so she doesn't stick her soon-to-be clean hands on a dirty tray. So he is telling her to reach up and she just sticks her messy hands in her hair. All because the large headed characters can't reach above their dang heads!! I am thinking that they nee d to have real people at the bottom corner of the screen showing how kids how to really do the actions so they don't hurt themselves. Maybe I should be more involved in my child's TV watching? Hmm, I will have to think about that. But here are some of those shows with large headed characters:

Super Why on PBS

Little Einsteins on Playhouse Disney

Ni-Hao Kailan on Nick Jr.
Dora the Explorer on Nick Jr.I seriously want to tell Dora to catch her own dang stars from now on!

1 comment:

Itty_Bitty_Wittes said...

I am more shocked that you didn't mention the modesty of the girls on these shows. What is TV teaching our boys about these skanky dressed girls...for example:

1)Super Why: the hootchie in the skates...need I say more?
2)Little Einsteins: ____The Ballerina...legs again!
3)Ni Hao's Arms showing...just shocking
4)Dora her mid-drif is always showing, when she walks, when she talks...

Don't even get me started on the Little Mermaid!

That's it I am writing a letter!!!